The castle was first mentioned in 1222. It is assumed that its construction is a work of master Donč. Since 1337 the castle becomes a county castle. In 1404 Hungarian King Sigismund of Luxembourg ordered to fortify the castle. The dominant part was obviously a massive perimeter wall defining the modest fortress complex. During the 14th century Sklabina was managed by royal castellans, who also had the title of Turiec district administrators. In 1434 the castle burned down as a result of the attack Hussites. Within the reconstruction, fortress expanded by ravelin, with polygonal bastions encircling the perimeter of the upper castle. At the end of the 15th century, the castle was the property of John Corvinus, who intensified barbican fortification bastion further and expanded core area of the castle tower with a late Gothic chapel. In 1540 Révay family acquire Sklabina and their domination lasted continuously until 1947. Since the beginning of their activity they give a particular attention to the improvement of the castle - they fortified the front of the gate and built polygonal bastions. Already in the early 17th century, there was a need housing more comfortable than defending of the castle and then Peter Révay changed cannon towers and fore-gate into mansion in 1610.
The function of the outer fortification walls took over a new circuit with a gate clenched pair of ground bastions. Over time, all of the functions concentrated in the headquarters building of the mansion and the original castle in the 18th century began to decay. The mansion in the ravelin Révay family continue to use as a summer residence and museum. Fire cause the downfall of the castle in 1944 based by german army. The revival occurred in the 90s of the 20th century, when Milan Milos Ļurík organized volunteers work which helped in maintaining area of the castle Sklabiņa.
After the settlement of property rights, when the castle became the property of village Sklabinský Podzámok , the village rent whole area to newly formed civil association Donjon, which has taken care over the castle. Despite the opposition of Heritage Institute staff, Donjon bricked several caverns in the castle area and statically ensure the building of the former prison and torture chamber, stabilize the upper castle wall, underpin corner of the chapel, filled cavern in the enclosure fortification, prepared the northern bastion on the entering for complete reconstruction - add masonry to peripheral wall, remove depris barriers, mounted the wooden frames for windows and doors, mure up window scuntions…
In 2007, the village unilaterally cancelled the tenancy agreement to civic association Donjon for the reasons:
- goat breeding in the area of the castle wasn´t mentioned in the tenancy agreement (goats were grazing inaccessible slopes of the castle)
- lease abandonment of the area to third parties (we housed scouts in the bastion for a weekend)
In 2010 the village created Ltd., which manages the castle - www.castrumsclabana.sk
Visitors of this site are invited to a newly created section "Museum" where you can find informations about museum exhibits, opening hours, souvenirs and updates. Especially we recommend visiting the museum of the castle Sklabiņa to organized groups such as schools, summer camps, youth free-time activities and etc.